Sunday, February 10, 2013

34 Weeks: 6 Weeks to full term!



The Bump and Baby Center say this about Week 34:

“Watch what you say! Your curious baby is listening in to your conversations at 34 weeks -- and might enjoy a lullaby or two -- so go ahead and sing to her. Some say that baby will recognize songs mom sings while she’s in the womb, and may even be more easily soothed by them if she’s used to them once she’s on the “outside.” At week 34, you might breathe a little easier, since baby may descend lower into your pelvis and give your lungs some space. (Ahh!) Of course, some babies don’t do this until the day they’re born, so we’re not making any guarantees. The pitfall of this descent, of course, is even more pressure on your bladder, so be prepared to make even more trips to the ladies room over the coming weeks.”


 “Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.”

 
Baby weighs as much as a cantaloupe.


Pregnancy Tracking Questions

How far along: 34 weeks.
Size of Baby: A cantaloupe or butternut squash.
Sleep: More disrupted because my hips are starting to hurt- almost a burning sensation, when I stay too long on one side.
Maternity clothes: Still rockin’.
Stretch marks: Not yet. (Don’t think I don’t have any- my tummy’s already “pre-stretched” as I like to say.
Wedding Ring: Switched.
Things bought/given: Cloth diapers/nappies. We were on the fence, but knowing how sensitive my husband’s skin is, how cost effective it will be, and the environmental benefits are all reasons we’ve decided to try it out. You can learn more about cloth diapering here, here, and here.
Best moments this week: Supporting my hubby.
Worst moment this week: I’ll save that for another post.
Movement: She’s starting to be a little forceful- not so fun while I’m driving (it’s distracting)!
Miss anything: Good American style ice cream.
Cravings: No cravings per-se, but grapes have really brought me enjoyment this week.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope.
Annoyances: The flies have come out in full force this week. It’s almost unbearable.

Belly button in or out: In for now! If I lean really far forward, it is pushing outward, but goes back inside when I sit normally.
New Aches and Pains: When I get up from bed, my joints tend to pop. And the hip pain/burning when I sleep (not new, but more frequent).
Braxton Hicks: None yet. I think….
Looking forward to: Knowing what she looks like. I tried a face morphing website using out two pictures, but it came out disastrous….pictures NOT to follow.



Song of the Week: Girl from Impanema as performed by Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz. Its such a ‘stiff’ performance- I hope she improved with time!     





3 comments:

Deidre said...

Cloth diapers seem like a really good investment!.

I would miss ice cream too.

Crystal said...

Yay for going with cloth diapers! If I had a kid, I'd definitely go that route.

And I'm not pregnant, but ice cream ALWAYS makes me happy :)

I had to LOL at the face morphing part. I did the same thing once with pictures of me and Max, and the results were terrifying. People always say to us, "It's a shame you guys aren't having kids! They'd be so beautiful!" Now, I just nod and think to myself, NO THEY WOULD NOT BE.

Rebecca said...

You look so adorable. Baby will be here before you know it! Almost to full term. Bravo for wanting to try cloth diapers. I have never tried them but people seem to love them. You will have to let me know how you like them.
And those face morphing sites are pretty scary LOL I think I tried it once too a long time ago and the outcome was nothing what our children look like :)