Friday, November 30, 2012

24 Weeks: Feeling tired.



24 Weeks Chalk Board.
This week is going fast. Too fast. We leave a week from today to visit my hometown for a month. Lots of stress since yesterday due to our neighbor, whom we share a yard with. I may or may not speak more about it- I don't want to sound like a ranting lunatic... (oh wait, that's her specialty!)


The Bump and Baby Center say this about Week 24:

“Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts her at just over a pound. Since she's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), she cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon start to plump up. Her brain is also growing quickly now, and her taste buds are continuing to develop. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help her air sacs inflate once she hits the outside world. Her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.
(Source)

You know what’s sweet? Those movements and kicks you’ve been feeling. They seem to get stronger every week. At week 24, baby’s progress isn’t just about internal stuff, it’s about her looks too. With pinker, more opaque skin, she’s looking more and more, well, like a baby. You, on the other hand, are probably experiencing some of the discomforts of the later months of pregnancy at week 24 -- leg cramps, backaches, swollen feet. Hang in there, mama-to-be!”




Pregnancy Tracking Questions

How far along: 24 weeks
Size of Baby: As long as an ear of corn.
Sleep: I’ve been staying up late and it’s really affected my daytime routine. I’m just too tired to even the simplest things. I’ve always been this way- I always fight sleep. Sigh.
Am I looking bigger?
Maternity clothes: Same as last week. I looked for “Cyber Monday” deals online (at Old Navy, Motherhood, etc), but I chickened out because I have not tried on any maternity clothes and don’t really know what size I am right now.
Stretch marks: Not yet.
Best moment this week: Going to the Bay Harbour Market in Hout Bay and the Kirstenbosch Craft Market. Hubby was up for the crowds, and with food, managed to stay in a good mood.
Worst moment this week: Having our crazy neighbor threaten to have our dogs taken away.
Miss anything: Turkey, cranberry sauce, candied yams, and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving!
Movement: Hubby started to really be able to feel her jabs and kicks this week. Brought a lot of joy to his eyes.
Cravings:  Cold slices of orange. So refreshing as the summer is heating up! Also, this week, we were really enjoying the last of our pepperoni that people have brought us from the USA. It’s a shame that nobody here knows what a glorious thing a simple slice of pepperoni pizza can be. Salami just does not do it for us- doesn’t crisp up or have the spiciness that pepperoni has.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope.
Belly button in or out: In.
Looking forward to: My father and grandmother being the first familiar faces we see as we arrive in the USA!



Song of the Post: Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship (not to be confused with Jefferson Starship).  It’s an oldie but a goodie (or no?), and the video is hilarious because it uses clips from the movie Mannequin, which the song was featured in.



6 comments:

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Looking fantastic lady, and I love your song choice.

Rebecca said...

I alwasy love how creative you get with the chalkboard. And your bump is looking so cute. Maternity clothes are pretty to figure out. It's actually just the same size you wore pre-pregnancy. So if you wore size medium, that's what you buy in maternity and they just stretch with your body and belly. I don't actually ever want to go back to wearing real clothes. I am in love with how comfy maternity clothes are and could pretty much just wear them for the rest of my life.

MILEX said...

nice

Deidre said...

The size of a corn cob!!! That's so exciting.

Prixie said...

Have a safe trip!

PS: I love mealies! So glad it is the season for it again. :)

A Life Un-Styled said...

This is so exciting. My friend gave birth to a gorgeous baby girl on Friday and I couldn't be more thrilled. This weekend we're off to visit our three nieces and nephew - as we don't have children of our own yet, we just spoil other peoples children and then hand them over ;) And I'll say it once again, that chalkboard is such a great idea! xoxox