Thursday, November 3, 2011

Kamers vol geskenke, Part I.


Last week I went to 9th annual Kamers vol geskenke on the Lourensford Wine Estate in Somerset West. I’ve been to the estate once before, and enjoyed the grounds even more now that they have made some improvements (new ponds, bathrooms, etc.)

I truly enjoyed the Kamers craft event! I took so many pictures (as you will see), but didn’t buy anything except yummy food. The vendors and artists are amazingly talented. It was so colorful and creative. Loved it. LOVED IT! I was so inspired creatively. I can’t wait to go again next year.

There is another one occurring at The Open Window School of Visual Communication in Irene. Dates and times are 29 November – 3 December 2011, 9am to 6pm daily. The opening night is  28 November 5:00 – 8:00. 

You should go if you can. And no, they are not paying me to say that!

This will be a very image-heavy post, so I’ve actually split it into two posts. The second will go up tomorrow…

The building up on the hill. Nicely renovated.

Loved this kitschy booth! Look at the crocheted pillow...

It's actually a design printed on fabric!

I love little bowls/plates like this!

Fun fascinators! The owner (male) is really friendly.

Mounted moose head. I think the plaque is lined with native leaves.

Not loving these trees, but they look simple to make.

These doggies were so cute! One is covered in newspaper comics and the other in making tape.

Peonies- apparently kinda rare to find here.

Mmm...strawberry plants!
Chef's baking twine wrapped around playing cards.


These were mini cups and trophies hung on cotton as necklaces or decoration.

Beautiful silver tea pots.

This lady had just bout this 1965 travel trailer to use at shows.
Inside the trailer.

She is a retailer of Gogo Olive  hand-knitted, one of a kind animals made by women in Zimbabwe.
The darling smocks make with shwe shwe, traditional African fabric.

These are teenie tiny. Many street sellers make these.


Loved these painted wire lights made to look like protea flowers.

These Wola Nani bowls are made of paper and sold to raise money for those affected by HIV/Aids.

Very cute beaded ornaments made of felt. You can also see some of the Gogo Olive animals too.

Felted bowls! Never seen this.

Really cute needle felted animal ornaments.


Whew! 

Stay tune for more pictures tomorrow!



Song of the Post: O Valencia! by The Decemberists.


4 comments:

Sami said...

Love the protea wire lights and the paper bowls, amazing work!

Lia said...

I love the gogo olive knirt animals and paper bowls (they're gorgeous). they kids clothes made with african fabric looks pretty

Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Australia said...

I would have left there broke! So many beautiful things! I've got a couple of the Wola Nani products and just love them :) We collect Christmas ornaments from the different countries we travel to, so I would have love to get a couple from there! Looks like time well spent!

Anonymous said...

I could browse in a place like that for days!!