Baking "from scratch" is something I have yet to really master. Since moving here, I have come accross several obstacles...
There is no shortening, only butter and oil.
There is no brown sugar as the USA sells it (white sugar with molasses), just treacle sugar and caramel sugar. Brown sugar is just “unrefined sugar” here. I’m not sure if they taste the same. I’ve looked for molasses and found it in one store- but it was a YEAR past it’s due date!
There are no graham crackers- and I have really wanted to make graham cracker crusts lately. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives. Oreos come in really small packages, so I'd have to buy a lot of them...
The butter isn’t sold in “sticks” as it often is in the USA, but in bigger blocks, so when a recipe calls for one stick of butter, I have to figure out how much that really is in milliliters.
Finally, I have only now realized that my oven is not working right, so I might not get to make these recipes any time soon.
|Emergency Chocolate Cake (source)|
|Creamy Caramel Sauce (source)|
- Creamy Caramel Sauce (My grandmother makes something similar.)
- Emergency Chocolate Cake
- Russian Crème with Fruit Topping
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Bar (Throwback to childhood!)
- Homemade Ice Cream in a Baggie (This sounds so fun!)
- Cream Cheese Brownies (Um…Yum?)
- Ice box Butter Cookies
- No-Bake Chocolate and Oatmeal Bars
- Custard Pie (Minus the nutmeg.)
- Chocolate Coconut Bars
- Sopapillas (I like them without cinnamon and sugar, and with honey drizzled on top instead.)
- Corn Flakes Pineapple Cheese Tort (I want to see if Corn Flakes can take the place of graham crackers for a crust- any thoughts?)
|Cream Cheese Brownies (source)|
|Peanut Butter and Jelly Bar (source)|
Song of the Post: Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie by Jay and the Techniques.
Please ignore the cheesy audience! And the track suit...